Christian Life Checklist and Select Scripture—foundational doctrines for the Christian life
- Godly Grace—Grace for us, 1 Peter 5.10 After you have suffered for a little while, the God of all grace, who called you to His eternal glory in Christ, will Himself perfect, confirm, strengthen, and establish you.
- Godly Grace—Grace through us, Colossians 4.6. Let your speech always be with grace, as though seasoned with salt, so that you will know how you should respond to each person.
Three Priorities for Life
- Believe in Christ as Savior—Destiny, John 3.16. “For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have eternal life.”
- Live in Fellowship with God—Living, John 15.5 I am the vine, you are the branches; he who abides in Me and I in him, he bears much fruit, for apart from Me you can do nothing.
- Study the Word of God—Food, 2 Timothy 3.16 All Scripture is inspired by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, for training in righteousness;
Three Spiritual Virtues
- Faith—1 Corinthians 13.13, But now abide faith, hope, love, these three; but the greatest of these is love.
- Hope—1 Thessalonians 1.3, constantly bearing in mind your work of faith and labor of love and steadfastness of hope in our Lord Jesus Christ in the presence of our God and Father.
- Love—Colossians 1:4-5, Since we heard of your faith in Christ Jesus and the love which you have for all the saints; because of the hope laid up for you in heaven, of which you previously heard in the word of truth, the gospel.
God's Guidelines for Life
- What I think—God’s Viewpoint. Colossians 3.1-2, If then you have been raised up with Christ, keep seeking the things above, where Christ is, seated at the right hand of God.2 Set your mind on the things above, not on the things that are on earth.
- What I do—Work for the Lord. Colossians 3.23, Whatever you do, do your work heartily, as for the Lord rather than for men.
- How I treat people—with the Fruit of the Spirit Galatians 5.22-23, But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law.
- How I am—Thankful 1 Thessalonians 5.18, in everything give thanks; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.
Spiritual Maturity—Christ likeness
- Galatians 4.19, My children, with whom I am again in labor until Christ is formed in you.
- Ephesians 4.13-14, until we all attain to the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, to a mature man, to the measure of the stature which belongs to the fulness of Christ. 14 As a result, we are no longer to be children, tossed here and there by waves and carried about by every wind of doctrine, by the trickery of men, by craftiness in deceitful scheming;
- Romans 13.14, But put on the Lord Jesus Christ, and make no provision for the flesh in regard to its lusts.
- 2 Peter 1.4, For by these He has granted to us His precious and magnificent promises, in order that by them you might become partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world by lust.
How to Live the Christian Life—Basic Techniques
- Occupation with Christ—Love God, Hebrews 12.2, fixing our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of faith, who for the joy set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and has sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.
- Knowledge of Word, 2 Peter 3.18, but grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. To Him be the glory, both now and to the day of eternity. Amen.
- Faith-Rest, 1 Peter 5.7, “casting all your anxiety upon Him, because He cares for you.“
- Confession of Sin and Fellowship, 1 John 1.7-9, but if we walk in the light as He Himself is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus His Son cleanses us from all sin. 8 If we say that we have no sin, we are deceiving ourselves, and the truth is not in us. 9 If we confess our sins, He is faithful and righteous to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.
- Spirituality—Living by the Holy Spirit, Galatians 5.16, Walk by the Spirit and you will not carry out the desires of the flesh.
- Prayer, Colossians 4.2, Devote yourselves to prayer, keeping alert in it with an attitude of thanksgiving.
- Ministry and Love, (Ministry), 1 Peter 4.10-11, As each one has received a special gift, employ it in serving one another, as good stewards of the manifold grace of God. Whoever speaks, let him speak, as it were, the utterances of God; whoever serves, let him do so as by the strength which God supplies. Ministry and Love (Love), Ephesians 5.2, and walk in love, just as Christ also loved you and gave Himself up for us, an offering and a sacrifice to God as a fragrant aroma.
Believers’ Birthright Conduct—Stand Firm, Strive Together, No Fear
Philippians 1.27-28, Only conduct yourselves in a manner worthy of the gospel of Christ; so that whether I come to see you or remain absent, I may hear of you that you are standing firm in one spirit, with one mind striving together for the faith of the gospel; 28 in no way alarmed by your opponents – which is a sign of destruction for them, but of salvation for you, and that too, from God.